Service Times

Anglican Parish of Kempsey – Service Times 2017


All Saints, Kempsey

28 Kemp Street






Every Sunday – 8:00 am, followed by Morning Tea

First Wednesday 10:00 am, followed by Morning Tea


St Peters, Frederickton

Edgar Street






First Sunday 10:30 am of each month (except January)

St James, Bellbrook

Oreen Street






Third Sunday of Month – March, June, September, December 11:15 am


Crescent Head – Uniting Church

Corner Pacific Street and Beranghi Street






Second Sunday of month – 8:30 am Holy Communion

Fourth Sunday of month – 8:30 am Morning Prayer

About Us

All Saints’ Anglican Church, Kempsey:
exterior from the west
[photograph by Trevor Bunning (29 September 2015)]

Historical and Technical Documentation by Kelvin Hastie
© OHTA, 2015 (last updated January 2016)

All Saints’ Anglican Church first opened for divine service on Sunday 7th June 1892. The foundation stone was set by Mrs Sydney Verge in 1883. The cornice spire was added in 1913 and the vicarage built in 1925.1 The church is a typical example of Gothic Revival architecture in an Australian setting.

The first pipe organ for All Saints’ was supplied in 1913 by the British Pianoforte Depot Ltd of Sydney. In 1968 this was replaced by the present instrument, built by H. Jarrott, Organ Services, of Brisbane. The origins of the first instrument were long forgotten until 2015, when historical material was presented to the Organ Historical Trust of Australia by local parishioners Joan Steffensen and Robert Jopling. This consisted of newspaper articles and church archival material. There was also a copy of photograph of the first organ, taken of it standing in the south transept in 1956.

Close examination of the photograph reveals the first organ to be identical to the one that appears on page 153 of Graeme Rushworth’s Historic Organs of New South Wales, and shown standing on the showroom floor of the British Pianoforte Depot in Castlereagh Street, Sydney.2 This photograph, provided to Rushworth by C.W. Smith of Tamworth, has a reverse-side inscription indicating a price of £200 (£185 during 1914) and the stoplist of Open Diapason 8, Dulciana 8, Gamba 8, Flute 4 and Pedal Bourdon 16. Rushworth speculates that the instrument possibly served as a temporary instrument at Holy Trinity, Orange, while that church waited for the installation of a much larger instrument by the same firm, opened in early 1913. While he concludes by saying of the small instrument that “its subsequent movements are unknown, and it is presumed to have later been rebuilt or broken up”, it is clear that the organ is the one installed at Kempsey.3 The 1913 and 1956 photographs and a description of the organ, published by the Macleay Argus on 19 December 1913, clearly confirm the link. The Macleay Argus reviewed the opening concert, given by Hector Maclean in conjunction with the church organist Miss Lancaster and the organ was described as being built and installed by the British Piano Co. [sic], and having tracker action and five stops.4

All Saints’ Anglican Church, Kempsey:
the organ – Stephen Aveling-Rowe at the console
[photograph by Trevor Bunning (29 September 2015)]